'Annals of Jinnah Sindh Medical University' (AJSMU) is a biannual peer reviewed journal of biomedical sciences published by the Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi, Pakistan. It is recognized by the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council and Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
Aims and Objectives of AJSMU:
AJSMU's aim is to disseminate and promote original and relevant research in the country by providing a sharing platform for researchers and by encouraging the Jinnah Sindh Medical University faculty to engage in research writing.
• Knowledge dissemination through research publications
• Maintain and enhance the research profile of Jinnah Sindh Medical University
There is no publication fee.
Source of Funding:
The University bears all the expenses of publication.
Higher Education Commission defines plagiarism as1:
Verbatim copying, near-verbatim copying, or purposely paraphrasing portions of another author's paper or unpublished report without citing the exact reference.
- Copying elements of another author's paper, such as equations or illustrations that are not common knowledge, or copying or purposely paraphrasing sentences without citing the source.
- Verbatim copying portions of another author's paper or from reports by citing but not clearly differentiating what text has been copied (e.g. not applying quotation marks correctly) and /or not citing the source correctly”2
- "The unacknowledged use of computer programs, mathematical / computer models / algorithms, computer software in all forms, macros, spreadsheets, web pages, databases, mathematical deviations and calculations, designs / models / displays of any sort, diagrams, graphs, tables, drawings, works of art of any sort, fine art pieces or artifacts, digital images, computer-aided design drawings, GIS files, photographs, maps, music / composition of any sort, posters, presentations and tracing."3
- "Self-plagiarism, that is, the verbatim or near-verbatim re-use of significant portions of one's own copyrighted work without citing the original source."2.
Annals of Jinnah Sindh Medical University (AJSMU) follows the guidelines of plagiarism policy of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)4, Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC)5 and Higher Education Commission (HEC)6. The above mentioned definition of plagiarism of HEC will be followed to discuss the plagiarism cases related to AJSMU. It is the responsibility of authors to acquaint themselves for the rules and regulation regarding the plagiarism, including paraphrasing and self-plagiarism as defined in the above definition of plagiarism. The cases of plagiarism of AJSMU would be dealt by the plagiarism standing committee of AJSMU (AJSMUPSC). The suspected articles submitted to the AJSMU could be sent to the other agencies or institutions for verification and authentications.
Suspected submitted manuscript of the plagiarism would be ceased for processing/consideration and the corresponding author would be requested for explanation. The cc (corban copy) of this email would also be sent to other authors of the manuscript. If the response of the corresponding author is not satisfactory, the case would be forwarded to AJSMUPSCfor furtheraction and recommendation. If the article has already been published, it would temporarily be retracted and explanation would be asked from the corresponding author, and cc would be sent to other authors. The case would be posted in the AJSMU website. If the corresponding author do not response in the stipulated time and response unsatisfactory, the case would be forwarded to AJSMUPSCand its decision would be final. If the decision of the AJSMUPSC is directed that the article was plagiarized, then the it would be retracted permanently from the AJSMU archives and the information would be sent to HEC, PMDC and authors’ institutions. The author (s) would be on watch, however the author(s) could plead their case with documentary proof against the decision.
- “ACM (Association of Computing Machinery) Policy on Plagiarism” (http://www.acm.org/pubs/plagiarism%20policy.html)
- “Academic Integrity Statement: Appendix1” (University of Southampton Calendar 2006/7) (http://www.calendar.soton.ac.uk/sectionIV/part8a.html)
AJSMU accepts advertisements relevant to the target readership of health sciences academics and professionals. Advertisements shall be printed in the journal’s hard copy and will be made available on online copies as well. Advertisements shall not affect editorial decisions and policies in any way. Any attempts to influence the journal through advertisement or undue benefits shall be considered valid reason for disqualification of the article in question and banning of the advertiser from AJSMU.
Peer Review Policy